Friday, August 8, 2008

No Name Necessary.....

Griffin was really tired after his first day of school. Normally he is a really talkative kid, but not so much this afternoon. He must've been REALLY worn out if he didn't have a lot to say! He did say this little bit, and I thought I would share.

Me: "Griffin, did you have a good first day of school?"

Griffin: "Mmhm"

Me: "Did you make any new friends?"

Griffin: "Mmhm"

Me: "Do you know any of the names of the kids you met today? Who was the boy you sat next to in lunch? Do you remember?"

Griffin: "Hmmmm, I can't me-member, Mom. Let me think. Ummmm, oh, the boy with the blue shirt on? Oh, hhhmmm. That boy, oh, I me-member now, his name is Austin. Yeah, he's my friend."

Me: "Oh, Austin. Okay, that's cool. I'm glad you made a friend. Did you make any other new friends?"

Griffin: "Um, yeah. That kid in the SpongeBob shirt, you know that kid, Mom?"

Me (laughing under my breath, how would I know the boy in the SpongeBob shirt? Maybe he thinks I have Psychic powers like him??): "No, I don't think so."

Griffin: "Well, the boy in the SpongeBob shirt and I shared cookies. Yeah, he's my friend."

Now, the next day I asked him if he had played with these same above mentioned boys, and he said no. Austin, the boy in the blue shirt, played with other kids and so did he. And the boy in the SpongeBob shirt wasn't there. I think he was there, he just wore a different shirt, and how could Griffin identify him now?!? HA!
.......................................................................

Monday, Dan and I told Griffin he could ride the bus to school. He has been wanting to ride the bus since day one, but Dan and I were leery of it, and wanted to make sure he was comfortable in his new surroundings before we fed him to the wolves. I had asked him, "Won't it be a little scary riding the bus Griffin?"

He said, very matter-of-factly, "No, Mom. Buses are not scary. Quit saying that. Buses are for kids. You get on and you sit down and you do what the bus driver tells you. They're not scary Mom. There aren't any monsters on the bus, so they're not scary!" With an implied Duh! on the end.

So, now you know! No monsters on buses, therefore, they are not scary! And, well, that does make sense!
.....................................................................

Upon picking Griffin up from After-Care, "Mom, I rode the bus here, too!"

"I know Honey! I heard you came here with another one of the kids from your class, Wilson."

Griffin: "No Mom. His name is Austin. Me-member? He's the one I told you about. The kid in the blue shirt, me-member?!"

Me: "I remember, Honey, yes. But that little boy's name is Wilson not Austin. Your teacher told me."

Griffin: "Oh, the kid in the blue shirt? Wilson?! Oh, I thought he was Austin. Well, he's my friend and we came here together. We had fun."

The moral of these stories... it is totally proper to have friends whose names you do not know, or names you just make up, when you're 5. At 5, it doesn't even matter if you have a name, you can just be "boy in SpongeBob shirt" and in your young heart they are your new best friend! Don't you me-member what that was like?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a funny story that was! Make sure you are saving these memories in a Word file that you tuck away in a trunk for the future. I wish I had made time for that.

dan said...

Griffin's inability to remember names was passed on genetically. I'm sure his brothers will have the same problem.