Monday, September 22, 2008

Thought I Didn't Have Much to Say....

Haven't felt very inspired to write lately. Guess that means things have slowed down a little or something. Not sure. But, I did find a couple of good recipes the other day that were quick and delicious. So, I thought I would share.

This Cookie Brittle recipe was TERRIFIC!! The kids enjoyed them enormously!

And these Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies were simple (made with mixes I had on-hand) and everyone in our Financial Class loved them!

I guess I was in the baking mood since it was my birthday last week. Yay me! I had a birthday! It's funny about birthdays, or maybe it's just funny to me, but Birthdays are not what you have them built up to be, are they?!? Or maybe you don't have a pre-conceived notion of what they should be like. But, I guess I do.

I kept telling Dan that Thursday was "My Special Day". And on, "My Special Day" I should be able to do whatever I wanted! He agreed, but I guess he didn't quite realize that what I wanted was for him to treat me like a Queen and jump at my every request! ha! Bad servant boy! Off with his head!

No, not really. He brought me flowers and gave me a nice card, and that was sweet and those were definitely not expected, but MUCH appreciated! But, what this Queen really wanted was a MAID!

I spent the early part of My Special Day (I took the day off of work) getting my lesson ready for our Live BIG class on Sunday, that's the class I teach at church on Sunday's for our 4 and 5 year old kids. Our Sunday lesson was on Noah, and there were a LOT of animals to punch out for the kids' take home envelopes and lots of other things to do in preparation. And I wanted to make sure I had everything planned out really well since this was such a big lesson!

Then, it was on to cleaning and preparing a crock pot meal for our dinner. But, the cleaning got as far as vacuuming and sweeping the kitchen floor and that's where it ended. I did get to fold some laundry, but it didn't even look like I made a dent in it! And that's what upsets me and makes me wish I had a maid. The unfinishedness of everything. It feels like just when I get started on something, something else comes up and I have to stop that and move on to the other. Stop and Go, Stop and Go! Ugh! That really gets under my skin!!! Well, at least it really did on My Special Day!

I just wanted to be able to fully clean the house. If I could have fully cleaned the house, I would have felt such a weight lifted off of my shoulders and that would have been such a gift!

The reason I had to stop my cleaning and laundry folding was because I had to take Grant and Wyatt to their 2 year and 6 month check-ups. And, although, I was the one who scheduled the appointment, it just irritated me to have to leave my work in the midst of getting something accomplished! FRUSTRATING!

And, you know how it goes, once you get 'em home, there is no going back to cleaning, their needs need to be tended to. And there is no going back to folding laundry because the laundry pile is a Big, Exciting, Pile of Softness that is TOO Fun to jump into and frolic around in!

Maybe they should start making clothes with sandpaper exteriors, that would definitely diminish the excitement, wouldn't it?!? Ooooh, that is one scratchy pile of clothes, no thanks, I'll go jump off the couch onto a huge pile of pillows, each time narrowly missing the fireplace bricks and sending my Mom's heart into tachycardia! Now that's what I call FUN!

Oh, if only Mom's ran the world. So many things would be different!

Fireplace Hearths would be installed with custom removable cushions that specifically fit your hearth and would leave no sticky residue from trying to use those after-market foam bumper pads.

All Moms (and maybe Dads if that's how your house works) would be enrolled in a Handy Helper Club where one day a week your kids went to another Handy Helper's house for three or four hours, while you ran around your house cleaning pop tarts out of the carpet and marker off the walls and pureed squash from the ceiling! At no cost to you because you would be swapping out time! Ahhhhh, what a relief that would be!

Emergency Feminine Products would come standard in First Aid kits, because when you're wearing light colored pants, the need to avoid an embarrassing scene feels like an emergency! And you wouldn't have to find a woman, exclusively, to help a sister out!!

An alarm would go off anytime someone got into the "off limits" snack items of your pantry. Thus, avoiding the, "I'm sorry sweetie there aren't any more fruit roll-ups left for your lunch. Who ate them all? Well, I don't know. But it wasn't me." Though, I have a pretty darn good idea who did and He pays to put a roof over our heads, so I guess we can't cut-off his hands like they do in Arab countries. But, an alarm blaring would surely signal he was flying in a no-eat zone, wouldn't it?!?

And lastly, Mom's would make sure that all sippy cups were truly "leak-free" and not just a cup with a lid! This is why my carpet looks like I am a HUGE fan of brown polka dots!!!

Oh, My Special Day didn't turn out quite as I had expected, no maid, and I definitely retired the crown. Back to life as usual. Though, I will have to throw something out there to you all. When someone asks you what you want for your birthday or anniversary, and you respond, "oh nothing really," never overlook the inexpensive gift of time, help, and a little elbow grease!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I used to say when I was a divorced, full-time working mother raising my three children, "I don't need a husband, I need a wife!". I guess that means the same thing as a maid. You will survive these years...really you will. And, then believe it or not, you will look back and say, "those were some of the best years of my life".

Anonymous said...

Man -you write well. That is so funny that prob Dan ate the fruit roll-ups and you can't cut his hands off like in Arab countries...I peed laughing at that!!

-MaxsGranny