Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How Old is Too Old??

So, a conversation occurred to me while I was folding clothes at an ungodly hour of the morning. A friend of mine and I were talking about money and budgets and what-not. And, if you know me, as of late, then you know that Dan and I are on this strict budget. We have strict parameters on what is spent and where it is spent, etc. And we dole out our money for the month at the beginning of the month and then every penny is budgeted. We're doing this in an effort to pay down debt more quickly, so that one of us can stay at home with our rug-rats, instead of both of us trying to spin the hamster wheel!

So, the conversation went something like this:
Me :"Yeah, I got some extra money, it wasn't in the budget, so I think I might spend it on underwear for myself."

Friend: "Oh yeah, underwear, huh? Are you going to get something good like Victoria's Secret or something?"

Me: "No. I don't have that much extra money, and I was thinking of getting more than a couple of pairs."

Friend: "Well, how many pairs do you need?"

Me: "Well, if it were up to my husband, I think he'd have me replace every single pair of underwear I own. He thinks they are all old and tired looking, and definitely not sexy."

Friend: "When was the last time you bought new underwear?"

Me: "Probably like three years ago or more."

Friend: "What?!?!? You haven't bought underwear in three or more years? Yuck! That's gross. You should replace underwear after like a year."

Me: "Really. You think it's gross to keep underwear for more than a year? I didn't know there was an expiration date on underwear. Is there?"

Friend: "Well, I mean, there's nothing that says you need to replace them after a year, but I always do."

Me: "Hmm. I guess I'm gross 'cuz I said I bought new underwear three years ago, but I probably have underwear in my drawer that are 10 years, or older. I didn't realize I was supposed to get rid of them. But, I won't be, b/c I said I had a few extra dollars, not enough to replace my whole underwear assortment."

Friend: "Well, I'd at least get started getting rid of some of your older pairs. That really is bad, Carrie."

Thought process: Is it really wrong to keep underwear for more than a year or two? I have to wonder. Is there some unwritten rule here? Am I going to have to budget into next month's funds "Panty Renewal"? Who wrote this rule, Victoria herself? She's really good at keeping these secrets, you know. Really good, 'cuz I'm 32 and I never heard of this 'til now. Should I be ashamed of my Muppets underwear? What about the flowered cotton ones? Those are my favorites, but they are, apparently 75 years old in underwear years. And, let's not even go down the road to bras-ville. I got some in there that are well beyond there expiration date. This could be a really expensive realization for me!

No wonder Dan thinks my underwear are tired and definitely, un-sexy! They are like reaching nursing home status! I should be taking them down to the Medicare office and seeing what sort of plan they need to be on. Social Security, my underwear should be drawing full benefits!

But, maybe she's right. Someone please enlighten me. Does anyone else have an opinion on underwear and it's life cycle? I just thought you wore 'em til their very fibers were worn out. I have to say, I know this thinking is shared by my step-father, because I have folded some seriously thin skivvies coming out of his laundry. But, no skid marks, so, still useful, still serving their purpose, butt-coverage still intact.

Though, you have to wonder, why is it that some folks have this mentality that things should be replaced after so many uses or years, and others do not follow the same thought process? I'd be willing to guess that if you are reading my Blog, then you are either a family member, or a close friend, and, therefore, you probably feel the same way I do about this issue, "If it still does the job, then no need for termination." But, what do you think? Could we be wrong? Should I be teaching my sons that after a year, maybe two, we have to say goodbye to the Power Rangers and hello to the Incredible Hulk?

This conversation struck me, of course, because I was folding underwear, Griffin's Bob the Builder. And I was thinking, "These might be getting a bit snug. Griffin has had these for a while. I should put them up. That way Grant can start wearing them when he starts potty training. Oh, but, then they would be hand-me-down underwear! Now, that is really bad, isn't it?! Handing down underwear from one child to the next! I wonder what my friend would say about that?" Well, sorry friend, my boy is going to wear used underwear, and he's going to be thrilled!

4 comments:

maxsgranny said...

Well I like my undies to match.....but as I have aged I shop for comfort! I think they should be kept until the elastic strings are hanging out of your pants and you pitch them in a fit of irritation!
But be selfish!! I feel like a goddess when I wear new socks and underthings....there is just something about the feeling of new behomoth white cotton panties that makes me feel like one of those deodorant names- Ocean Lift- or Spring Closet fresh....teehee!!

Carrie said...

You're right. I will have to say that there is something nice about having new undergarments on. Makes you hold your butt cheeks even higher! ha!
No, but seriously, it is nice having new underwear. Maybe I should ask for some for Christmas?! I have always liked Strawberry Shortcake! Ha ha!!

Anonymous said...

I think people who think like your friend are big contributors to our over flowing landfills. Wear them till they fall apart. It's not like they aren't clean.

Carrie said...

Thanks Molly! I agree! If they still have life in them, let them live!! We've become too much of a disposable society! See, now I have a reason feasible argument, "I'm helping to save the planet!" :-)