Thursday, October 7, 2010

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

Just a short little post about convenience.

Have you ever noticed how PO'd we can be when we have to wait? How itchy-for-a-fix we can get when Facebook is down or when we leave our cell phone at home?

How bad is it that back in the day, I could remember every single phone number of every one of my friends in elementary, junior high and high school, even college, but if you asked me today what my Mom's telephone number was I would have to look it up in my phone?!?!? No excuses...this is BAD!

I'm starting to wonder if I might not find life more exciting, even more luscious, if I take away some of the conveniences of my life and start focusing on a life of less.

It bothers me that in my convenienced life, I see that my relationships can be lacking because I rely so heavily on things, and not me. I love the sound of a loved one's voice, yet I text more and more now because of the convenience. I'm simply not placing enough significance on making time. Other times, I find that I take on too much instead of asking for help from others. Because it's more convenient to do it myself instead of stopping to teach someone else. What's that saying....Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Technologies that were intended to help me have made me less of who I want to be. So I need to make some changes....what about you? Do these ideas ever run through your head? Tell me I'm not the only one who wishes things were just a little more like yesteryear....

I've made a decision. Yesteryear can be this year if I start with me.

Now, where to start?

Suggestions?

No more TV? Newpaper instead? Less toys so that the boys have to look outside for entertainment or to books or to learning card games or making-up games? Should I write more letters? No more cell phone at all? Use the cell phone only when at home? No more phone calls in the car? No more texting? No more...gasp...Facebook?!?

I'm going to think on this....and make some slow changes, this is going to be my YesterYear Project.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Start by only using a pay as you go phone for traveling. I've been using Tracfone for many years and it only costs about $100 a year to purchase minutes and extend my membership. Get rid of your cell phone and put in a land line again. No texting ever.

Carrie said...

Good ideas, Auntie! I really do like the idea of only using a phone to speak....not for other stuff.
I think it's great that we CAN use phones in multiple ways...YAY for those geniuses who come up with this stuff. But, it's my problem to deal with when I start buying into "I NEED" that type of technology.
I think I am going to look into that as a change.
I'd also like to get rid of cable. It's not that GREAT shows aren't out there on extended channels, but I should be more in tune with who is around me and less in tune with the characters of a show. :)

Anonymous said...

always love to read your blogs, you are an excellent writer and always thought provoking!!