Monday, March 23, 2009

Memories, But a Juke Box Away!

I was off this last week. Home with Griffin for his Spring Break. Dan called it my "stay-cation". I thought that was clever.

I had several tasks to complete, or should I say I still have several tasks to complete!

But it was nice, being home with Griffin. He liked it so much that he was practically in tears when he had to get up and go back to school today! I knew how he felt, but couldn't really sympathize, I had to stand firm on, "Sorry buddy, school is important, you have to go."

I stood firm while my thoughts said, "I don't want to go back to work with my house still a mess and feeling like my week at home was not a whole week! It couldn't have been! Someone stole my days!"

But, what good would that do? It is what it is, as they say. Monday came even though I tried wishing it away.

Griffin and I had a notable moment in the car last week. He was switching stations like he likes to do when we're driving. He is very much a ROCK and RAP sorta dude! Anything with a thump.....I can already feel the future, my bleeding ear drums!!!

As he's searching through stations he stops on a Classic Rock Station. Where I hear the beginning of Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. I say, "Oh, stay here Buddy. This is a GREAT song!"

Griffin: "No. I don't like this one."

Me: "No? Well, you just gotta keep listening.....it doesn't sound like a Rock song, but it gets there. It starts to rock towards the end."

time passes...

Griffin: "Nah. I don't like it. It doesn't rock."

Me: "I promise it will. You just gotta be patient."

seconds pass.....

Griffin: "I'm getting tired of waiting. Whens' it gonna rock?"

Me: "Buddy, you just gotta be patient. I promise it rocks! This is the kind of music your Dad and I grew up listening to. This is true Rock!"

the song starts to pick up, Griffin gets a little taste of the Rock that's coming....

Griffin: "Oh, Mom, it's starting to get better!"

He's bobbing his head, finding the beat of the song......but now we're almost home.

Griffin: "Mom. Do NOT turn off the car when we get home. I wanna keep listening to this!"

Oh, yes. Yes, son, you do. That is true Rock and Roll. Music that will ring in your head for years to come. And when it plays you will have all these memories float to the surface of where you were when......... and of who you were dancing with when it was playing at your 10th grade Sadie Hawkins....these are the memories of our youth. Gone from our every day lives until we turn on the radio, or pop in a CD, or better yet, put on an album!!

Music is an escape, a release, and a vacation away from it all.

That was one of the only moments I felt like I was truly on vacation while I was home. So glad I got to share it with Griffin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

joy kill: I hate Led Zepplin.
-Maxsgranny

Carrie said...

Okay, well, you don't have to like Led Zeppelin to understand what I am talking about. That feeling you get when a song plays and it is attached to a memory you've stored away.
I hope Griffin will store the memory of first listening to Led Zeppelin in the car as he was riding back home from the store on his weeklong stay-cation, Spring Break, with his Mom.
I know I won't forget it.

Anonymous said...

I agree - Led Zep sucks, especially that song, but I am looking forward to moments like that with my lil' man too. Thanks for sharing - makes me excited for the future!

Brent Diggs said...

It's good to see you bringing up the lad right,every child needs an education grounded in the classics. My kids are well versed in 80's new wave. (They just don't make 'em like that any more.)